As a result of climate change, it is becoming more likely that forecasts will start predicting heavier rain and hurricanes, which lead to floods. This will have a huge negative impact on societies since it can take them many years to bounce back after the detrimental effects of floods. This makes it crucial that citizens that reside in flood risk areas be made aware of its danger and if they are entitled to any compensation. The federal disaster assistance only pays compensation to flood-affected families and individuals that reside in a designated federal disaster area.

If the flood causes collateral damages to surrounding areas out of the range of the federal disaster area, people from those areas are not entitled to a coverage. Residents in flood-prone areas should be careful if flood water flows higher than 6 inches as it can knock the face forward into the water. This is highly dangerous since a person can drown if he becomes unconscious and doesn’t regain consciousness quickly. As for cars, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, it takes a minimum of 12 inches of flowing flood water to make a car float. 6 inches of water above the ground can allow the bottom of cars to come in contact with water, which can stall the car’s engine. If you live in or near a flood prone area you should know about floods and insurance.

Residents that are concerned about their properties and houses have to buy separate insurance for them if they will need coverage for the flood. There currently isn’t any flood insurance that offers coverage for damage done to cars or their parts whether they were parked in a public area such as roads or in private spaces. The Federal Emergency Management agency strongly emphasizes the importance of being prepared for a flood. This would require that people in flood-prone areas collect first-aid equipment, non-perishable food items, lots of water and batteries to power radios and flashlights. For more information on flood insurance and coverage visit the HealthIQ website.